An Introduction to Technical Theatre draws on the author’s experience in both the theatre and the classroom over the last 30 years. Intended as a resource for both secondary and post-secondary theatre courses, this text provides a comprehensive overview of technical theatre, including terminology and general practices. Introduction to Technical Theatre’s accessible format is ideal for students at all levels, including those studying technical theatre as an elective part of their education. The text’s modular format is also intended to assist teachers approach the subject at their own pace and structure, a necessity for those who may regularly rearrange their syllabi around productions and space scheduling.
- About this Book
- Module 1: Theatre – A Collaborative Art
- Module 2: Organizational Structures
- Module 3: Production Scheduling
- Module 4: Theatre Spaces
- Module 5: Our Stages and Their Equipment
- Module 6: Design and Collaboration
- Module 7: Scenery and Construction
- Module 8: Props and Effects
- Module 9: Stage Management
- Module 10: Costumes and Character Creation
- Module 11: Lighting Design
- Module 12: Lighting Equipment and Control Systems
- Module 13: Sound Design and Equipment
- Module 14: Scene Painting and Color Theory
- Module 15: Stage Crews and Production Etiquette
Copyright © 2018 by Tal Sanders. This book is distributed under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and publisher are credited.
Tal Sanders holds an MFA in design from California Institute of the Arts. An assistant professor of theatre, he serves as faculty scenic and lighting designer as well as technical director for Theatre and Dance at Pacific University. Tal is an award-winning designer with numerous national credits. He is a member of the United Scenic Artists, and has designed lighting and scenery for many aspects of entertainment including: theatre, film, television, theme parks, concert stages, cruise ships, mall décor, and zoos. It is Tal’s hope that An Introduction to Technical Theatre will inspire students to find their passion for this art that he loves.